Mfg. Engineer Manager
Oversees the development and implementation of manufacturing processes to maintain proper product functionality as well as cost efficiency. Ensures the engineering team and other manufacturing departments work together cohesively. Responsible for the development of equipment to aid in the manufacturing process. Reviews, evaluates and implements engineering changes and specification requirements. Requires a bachelor’s degree. Manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. First level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Managing the Manufacturing Engineers including developing and mentoring, providing guidance and setting goals and objectives for individuals and the application of solid engineering judgment
- Develops equipment to aid in the manufacturing process
- Reviews, evaluates and implements engineering changes and specification requirements
- Works collaboratively with design engineers as part of the product development team
- Applies Lean manufacturing principles and continuous improvement practices
- Ensure factory layout and equipment are optimized for material flow and manufacturing efficiency
- Oversees that assembly equipment, fixtures and tools are developed to meet quality, safety and performance objectives and are continuously improved as needed to meet standards
- Ensure all manufacturing documentation such as drawings, schematics, and BOM’s are accurate, streamlined and consistent
- Evaluates manufacturing processes by designing and conducting research programs; applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations from operators.
- Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors.
- Prepares product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Performs activities in the factory or field environment following Company safety guidelines
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with government regulations
- Evaluate employee performance and prepare performance appraisals
- Assigned work that is extremely complex in nature where independent action and a high degree of initiative are required in resolving problems
- Responsible for supporting and managing by company policies and safety procedures
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing tasks as needed to meet objectives
This position impacts the organization by providing efficient manufacturing processes that will produce quality machinery in a timely and cost effective manner. This position will provide opportunity in manufacturing engineering and enhancement by staying abreast of available technologies. Understanding the external environment that affects the design of equipment such as terrain, customer specific needs and regulatory requirements will enhance the Company’s ability to increase profitability by meeting the needs of our customers.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- B.S. in Mechanical, Manufacturing or similar engineering discipline, or equivalent education/experience
- 8+ years functional Manufacturing Engineering experience, prior experience with agricultural equipment preferred, 5+ years of management experience
- Demonstrated ability to be a proactive and collaborative leader in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills across all levels of the organization
- Awareness of time constraints, urgency, and on-time performance of all duties
- Proficient with 3D CAD part/assembly modeling and drafting – preferably SolidWorks
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio and Outlook
- Proficient with Adobe Acrobat
Works relatively independently with guidance and supervision from superior manager. Assignments given in the form of goals/objectives. Work reviewed by manager for soundness of judgment, overall completeness and accuracy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and to sit in performing computer functions. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision, color vision and depth perception.
Job duties are performed in a production and/or office environment utilizing standard equipment, such as a computer, photocopier, telephone, hand tools, fabrication and test equipment. Noise level is usually moderate to loud, based on specific activities. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and/or heavy fabrication equipment and can be exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee may occasionally be exposed to fumes or airborne particles and/or hazardous chemicals. When required to be in the field conditions can be seasonally hot or cold and dusty. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Work closely with other departments (including but not limited to): materials, purchasing, parts sales and accounting and engineering.
- Design and document tooling and fixtures to assure repeatable manufacture of products
- Travel to suppliers, customers, and industry locations as required
OTHER DESIRABLE SKILLS
- Industry experience
- Electrical system documentation experience, primarily 12 and 24 volt DC systems for powdered industrial equipment
- Hydraulic system documentation experience
- Lean manufacturing knowledge and experience preferred
- Solid Works hose routing experience
- ERP/MRP system experience – preferably Epicor
- FEA experience – preferably SolidWorks Simulation and Flow Simulation
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
- Work performed in designated areas may require appropriate safety precautions and protective equipment such as eye and hearing protection.
NOTE: THIS JOB SPECIFICATION IN NO WAY STATES OR IMPLIES THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES/FUNCTIONS TO BE PERFORMED BY THE INCUMBENT. EMPLOYEES WILL BE REQUIRED TO FOLLOW ANY OTHER JOB-RELATED DUTIES/FUNCTIONS REQUESTED BY THEIR SUPERVISOR.